top of page

St. Benedict the Moor Parish History

The roots of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church extends back to 1925. At this time the Anderson's family made their property available to the community. The church was located on Highway 90 between scott and Duson and served parishioners from both localities. 

Missionaries from the Holy Ghost Community were sent to fulfill the spiritual needs of the community. This church served the area for several years until it was destroyed by fire. 

Property was then acquired in 1937 through the generosity of Alcide Antoine Jr. The completed church school on Highway 90 west was dedicated in August of 1939. It accommodated the spiritual and educational needs of the Duson Community for approximately 29 years. For the first time the church was served by SVD pastors. They were Father Francis Wade and Father Anthony Bourges

With the assistance of the Propagation of Faith and the Extension Society, the congregation continued to grow and by 1966 there was a need for a new church. The present day church was dedicated in 1966 with Father Dauphine serving as the pastor. 

bottom of page